Speech From the Throne Leaves Too Many Canadians Behind | Sep 24, 2020
Essex, Ontario – Today, Chris Lewis, Member of Parliament for Essex, highlighted Justin Trudeau’s failure to put Canada on a real path forward through the pandemic and help those Canadians who desperately need it through his Speech from the Throne.
“Navigating the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic has been extremely difficult,” MP Lewis said. “The future is even more worrisome. I keep hearing from residents who say they’re concerned about their health, their loved ones, their jobs, and how they are going to pay their bills this winter.”
While there remain many unknowns, Justin Trudeau had an opportunity to lay out a plan to help. But he failed to do so and is leaving Canadians behind, once again.
In his Speech from the Throne, Justin Trudeau failed to mention western alienation and national unity concerns. He failed to deliver a plan to help the millions of Canadians who are struggling. He didn’t commit to increase health transfers – the provinces’ top ask. In fact, he’s done nothing but waste six weeks so that he could hide from his ethical scandals.
There are still a number of major concerns Justin Trudeau needs to answer for. For example, why is Canada falling behind our allies when it comes to COVID-19 testing? Other countries continue to safely offer home testing and online kits. And where is the plan to deal with a second wave? We can’t accept an economic shutdown as the only solution.
People here in Essex need a plan now. They need to know their government is fighting for them.
- Parents who must continually choose between staying home, with their child, who got sent home sick from school or picking up another shift to make ends meet
- Autoworkers facing uncertain markets and the “one-size fits all’ income support that fails to address the real income loss in this industry
- Travel agents, restaurants, tourism and other small businesses experiencing heavy losses and permanent closure
- Our agriculture and fishing industries that require immediate attention and support
- Loved ones separated by the border closing
- Canadian snowbirds scrambling to find a place to winter
- The many cross border workers that continue to fall through the gaps
“I’m really proud to be part of a strong team, led by Erin O’Toole, that is offering a serious, compassionate and ethical government-in-waiting. Conservatives have Canadians’ backs,” MP Lewis said.
“I know that our country can overcome adversity together, and we can emerge from the COVID era stronger and more united than ever before.”